Report of Regents Cultural Education Committee to The Board of Regents
Regent Roger Tilles, Chair of the Cultural Education Committee, submitted the following written report. Your Committee on Cultural Education Committee had its scheduled meeting on June 24, 2014.
In attendance were committee members: Regents Tilles, Dawson, Bendit, Rosa, Cottrell, and Brown. Absent: Regent Cea
In addition to CE Committee Members, in attendance were: Chancellor Tisch, Regents Tallon, Cashin, Finn and Phillips as well as Commissioner King and Executive Deputy Commissioner Berlin.
ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION
Chair’s Remarks: Regent Tilles welcomed everyone and opened the meeting. Regent Tilles remarked on various arts education activities that have occurred on Long Island. He also remarked that at upcoming CE Committee meetings arts education will be on the agenda.
Deputy Commissioner Jeffrey Cannell introduced State Historian Robert Weible who provided a brief report on the Conference on New York State History that was held at Marist College on June 12-14. Deputy Commissioner Cannell also presented his report to the Committee reporting on recent activities in the Office of Cultural Education. Highlights include:
- The Summer School of the Arts began on Sunday at the school of Ballet. We expect over 420 students participating this year, approximately 5% increase in participation.
- The State Library hosted a lecture by author Russell Shorto last Thursday. Over 200 people attended the lecture in the Huxley Theater.
- The Uncommon Approaches to the Common Core conference will be held on August 12-13, we have over 130 signed up so far. We expect between 450 and 600 participants.
- Two teacher workshops to be held, archaeology and Earth science with nearly 80 participants
- Over 12,300 K-12 students visited the Museum during May and June this year.
- The Statewide Summer Reading Program kicked off last week in Schenectady. This year we expect nearly 2 million children to participate, last year approximately 1.85 million participants.
CE A-1 Appointment to the Regents Advisory Council for Museums (RAC-M)
Deputy Commissioner Jeffrey Cannell recommended to the Cultural Education Committee the appointment of Sara Pasti to Regents Advisory Council for Museums as presented.
Motion made by: Regent Dawson
Seconded by: Regent Rosa
Unanimous vote in favor of the motion.