Report of Regents Professional Practice Executive Session Committee to The Board of Regents
Your Professional Practice Committee held its scheduled meeting on December 13, 2016. All Committee members were present, except Regent Elizabeth S. Hakanson & Regent Christine D. Cea, who were excused.
Professional Discipline Cases
Your Committee recommends that the reports of the Regents Review Committees, including rulings, findings of fact, determinations as to guilt, and recommendations, by unanimous or majority vote, contained in those reports which have been distributed to you, be accepted in 3 cases. In addition, your Committee recommends, upon the recommendation of the Committee on the Professions, that 56 consent order applications and 8 surrender applications be granted. [PPC EXS (A) 1-3]
In the case of Lori Jo Murphy a/k/a Lori Jo Murphy-Putrello, Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Calendar No. 25843, we recommend that term of probation numbered three, in exhibit “B” to the report of the Hearing Panel, be corrected insofar as the word “suspension” on the first line of said term of probation numbered three be deemed deleted and, in lieu thereof, the word “probation” be deemed substituted in its place; and that the recommendation of the Regents Review Committee in this matter shall otherwise be accepted.
In the cases of Elnora VanRensselaer, Licensed Practical Nurse and Registered Professional Nurse, Calendar Nos. 29107 & 29108, Regent Catherine Collins was recused.
These recommendations are made following the review of 67 cases involving twenty registered professional nurses, fifteen licensed practical nurses, eight licensed practical nurses who are also registered professional nurses, two acupuncturists, two occupational therapy assistants, two respiratory therapists, one clinical laboratory technician, one dentist, one licensed clinical social worker, one licensed master social worker, one licensed mental health counselor, one massage therapist, one ophthalmic dispenser, one pharmacist, and one registered professional nurse who is also a nurse practitioner (Family Health).
Your Committee recommends the following:
That the application of Thomas Wentland for the restoration of his license to practice as a physician in New York State be granted. [PPC EXS (A) 4]
MOTION FOR ACTION BY FULL BOARD
Madam Chancellor and Colleagues: Your Professional Practice Committee recommends, and we move, that the Board of Regents act affirmatively upon each recommendation in the written report of the Committee's deliberations at its meeting on December 13, 2016, copies of which have been distributed to each Regent.
MATTERS NOT REQUIRING BOARD ACTION
Your Committee discussed several topics of interest, including:
Deputy Commissioner's Report/Update [Oral Report] -
Full Board Consent Agenda Items
- Board (Re) Appointments
- Licensing Petitions (note: with respect to Dr. Hernandez-Alejandro’s petition, the PPC discussed the matter in executive session and remanded the matter to the Committee on the Professions and requested additional information on Dr. Hernandez-Alejandro’s background; the Committee on the Professions revised and approved the amended report, and in a second executive session, the PPC recommended approval of Dr. Hernandez Alejandro’s licensing petition. The Full Board then accepted the PPC’s recommendation and approved Mr. Hernandez-Alejandro’s licensing petition).
- Designation of Regents Physician Shortage Areas (RPSAs)
- Proposed Amendment to Section 61.10 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education Relating to the Dental Anesthesia Certification Requirements for Licensed Dentists
- Regents Permission to Operate in New York State: Gannon University
- The State University of New York at Binghamton: Authorization to Award the Doctor of Pharmacy Degree
Professional Discipline Update – Periodic update and discussion of the resolution of professional discipline cases, including the handling of complaints, adjudications, and illegal practice.