Meeting of the Board of Regents | December 2010
THE STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT / THE UNIVERSITY OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK / ALBANY, NY 12234
The Honorable the Members of the Board of Regents
Kevin G. Smith
Appointments to the New York State
November 24, 2010
Issue for Decision (Consent Agenda)
Vacancies have occurred on the New York State Independent Living Council, Inc. (NYSILC). Should the Regents approve the proposed appointments and reappointments of members to the NYSILC?
Reason for Consideration
The 1992 Amendments to the Rehabilitation Act require the Board of Regents to appoint members to the New York State Independent Living Council, Inc. (NYSILC).
This item will come before the Full Board at its December 2010 meeting.
Each year, as vacancies occur, the Board of Regents approves recommendations to fill such vacancies.
Information on the proposed appointees is noted in Attachment 1 and a list of the entire NYSILC is noted in Attachment 2.
VOTED: that Chad Underwood, Suzanne Joblonski-Philip, Brett Eisenberg, Capt. Luis Carlos Montalván and Julie Cardone be appointed for a three-year term beginning January 1, 2011 and ending December 31, 2013 and one reappointment be made to first full three-year term for the following individual: Shelley Klein beginning January 1, 2011 and ending December 31, 2013.
Timetable for Implementation
Upon approval by the Regents of the recommended candidates, appointments will go into effect January 1, 2011.
New York State Independent Living Council, Inc.
VESID is recommending five new appointments and one reappointment resulting from expiring terms of existing members.
2013 Expiration Date – CIL Representative
Access to Independence of Cortland County
26 N. Main Street
Cortland, New York 13045
- Chief Operating Officer, Access to Independence of Cortland County, Inc. – Cortland, New York. Manage agency financials, including: budgeting, accounts payable / receivable, cash flow, reconciliation, account management, payroll, benefits, insurance, investments and financial reporting. Developed and implemented business strategies that resulted in 135% growth in agency revenue, 150% growth in number of consumers served; and 300% increase in number of funding sources over three years.
- Principal Consultant, CU Enterprises – San Diego, California. Fulfilled contract with Solar Turbines, Inc. (Caterpillar) to complete major information management system transition; developed and assisted in launch of complex project plan to employ new business processes and to implement related operations and information technology changes. Completed contract with Petco Animal Supplies, Inc. to develop complex financial scenarios to efficiently facilitate strategic opening of 50+ new stores nationwide. (2005-2006)
- Senior Business Analyst, Business Analyst, AMN Healthcare, Inc – San Diego, California. Successfully delivered highly complex business solution to integrate newly acquired international business (O’Grady Peyton) into existing operations. Developed thorough business case (cost/benefit) proposals for new projects, modifications, methods and procedures; led teams through issues identification, data gathering, problem solving and analysis, and development of conclusions and recommendations. (2002-2005)
2013 Expiration Date – Organization Serving
1865 Grove Street, # 2R
Ridgewood, NY 11385
- Program Assistant, Office of Services for Students with Disabilities at Borough of Manhattan Community College, New York, NY. Process approved applications of students requesting reasonable accommodations. Co-facilitate and coordinate orientations, campus and University-wide events and Freshmen Year Experience classes. (2007-present)
- Parent Advocate, Mental Health Association of New York's Coordinated Children’s Services Initiative, New York, NY. Provide support and advocate for resources and entitlements for families and caregivers raising children and youth living with serious emotional and behavioral disorders where family determines need. Outreach to families, service providers and community agencies to inform them about the program and recruit participants. (2006-2008)
- Community Liaison, Office of Assembly Member Catherine Nolan, Ridgewood, NY. Resolved constituent issues and concerns related to government entitlements, housing, after school programs, police responsiveness, health and mental health referrals, and community resources. Represented and attended community events and meetings on behalf of Assembly Member. (2004-2005)
2013 Expiration Date – Advocate
Bronx Independent Living Services, Inc.
4419 Third Avenue
Bronx, NY 10457
(718) 515-2800 ext 116
- Executive Director, Bronx Independent Living Services. Responsible for developing and implementing strategies and programs for the organization. Fiscal oversight and overall management of $600,000 budget. Develop relationships with potential grantors. (2009 - Present)
- Membership Specialist, Just One Break. Responsible for developing and implementing strategies for member companies based on their needs nationally. Recruit new member companies, develop relationships in collaboration with other disability organizations throughout the United States and oversee several aspects of the budget process. (2008 - 2009)
- Disability Coordinator, American International Group. Report directly to the Chief Diversity Officer and represent the office on the Corporate Diversity Council. Responsible for overall disability strategy and objectives on a global basis. Strategically setup disability initiatives and programs by working with leading organizations throughout the world in key areas including recruitment and retention, corporate affairs, assistive technology, products and services. (2007 - 2008)
2013 Expiration Date – Other
Capt. Luis Carlos Montalván
512 W. 112th Street, Apt 2A
New York, NY 10025
- Co-founded the Iraq Veterans’ Refugee Aid Association (IVRAA). In August 2008, led a humanitarian mission to Jordan and met with American, Iraqi and Jordanian ambassadors and dignitaries as well as the refugees themselves. Operations Management - Published several articles about the refugee crisis, and as a result, dozens of media outlets covered the crisis and IVRAA’s mission.
- Captain, U.S. Army. Worked from locations spanning North America, Europe, Africa and the Middle East. Coordinated $50 million in transportation, weapons, ammunition, and logistical resources to support new Army officer training for the largest officer training company in the United States Army. Developed, led, and monitored training of 1,200 newly commissioned officers per year, facilitating highly effective tactical and strategic training and leadership programs to ensure optimal officer performance. Recognized for exceptional dedication to training and personal development; conducted high-level training programs to Iraqi government officials throughout two tours in Iraq. (1998 – 2007)
- Served in the Army Signal Corps and Military Police Corps gaining a solid foundation in leadership and operations management that was critical for success in future positions. (1990 to 1998)
2013 Expiration Date – Ex Officio
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
Commission for the Blind and Visually Handicapped
445 Hamilton Avenue, Room 503
White Plains, NY 10601
- Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor, New York State Commission for the Blind and Visually Handicapped, White Plains, NY. Responsible for the coordination and delivery of vocational rehabilitation services for 100 individuals in the Mid-Hudson Valley region. Extensive collaboration with county, state and not-for-profit agencies to develop training programs for direct service staff and managers to better understand ADA and ensure service delivery. Coordinated efforts to implement assistive technology services to benefit individuals with visual impairments as well as the employer community. (2000 – Present)
- Job Developer, Search For Change, Inc., White Plains, NY. Established regular communication with local employers for the purpose of assisting with their recruiting needs. Created and developed competitive job placements for individuals with psychiatric disabilities. Responsible for maintaining supported employment contract including training job coaches and providing monthly management reports. (1999 - 2000)
- Employment Specialist, Epilepsy Foundation of Southern New York, Pearl River, NY. Job Placement and retention services, which include job development, intensive job coaching and follow along supports. Developed and implemented recreation program for adults with multiple disabilities. (1996 – 1999)
The following interim council member is reappointed to a first full three-year term for her designated category:
2013 Expiration Date – Advocate
Shelley M. Klein, Ph.D.
227 Norman Road
New Rochelle, NY 10804
- Board member, recording secretary and vice president of the Westchester Independent Living Center.
- Three-term chairperson appointed by county executive as an original member of the Westchester County Human Rights Commission.
- Founder, publisher and editor of ALIVE Magazine, a cross-disability publication.
New York State Independent Living Council, Inc.
Center for Independent Living Director
2011 Denise A. Figueroa, 1064 New Loudon Road, Cohoes, NY 12047, Phone: (518) 785-8295, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Representatives from Centers for Independent Living
2011 Bruce Darling, (NYSILC Vice Chair), Center for Disability Rights, 497 State Street Rochester, NY 14608, Phone: (585) 546-7510, TTY: (585) 546-7510, E-mail: email@example.com
2011 Douglas J Usiak, Executive Director, Western New York Independent Living Project, 3108 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14214, Phone: (V and TTY) (716) 836-0822, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
2013 Chad Underwood, Access to Independence of Cortland County, 26 N. Main Street, Cortland, New York 13045, Phone: (607) 753-7363, E-mail: email@example.com
Advocates for Individuals with Disabilities
2011 Kenneth L. Stewart, 34 Points of View, Warwick, NY 10990, Phone: (845) 986-2955, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
2011 Anthony W. Richardson, 87 Hamilton Place, Apt. 2F, New York, NY 10031, Phone: (212) 283-5969, E-mail: email@example.com
2012 Lawrence Carter-Long, Executive Director, Disabilities Network of NYC, 121 Avenue of the Americas, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10013, Phone: 212-925-6675 ext. 293, E-mail: Lawrence@dnnyc.net
2011 Lauren LeFebvre, Project Director, Tri Lakes Center for Independence, PO Box 280, Ray Brook, NY 12977, Phone: (V) (518) 891-5295, TTY: (518) 891-5293, Fax: (518) 891-5293, E-mail: Lauren@tlcil.org
2013 Brett Eisenberg, Bronx Independent Living Services, Inc., 4419 Third Avenue, Bronx, NY 10457, Phone: (718) 515-2800 ext 116, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Representatives of Service Organizations for Individuals with Disabilities
2011 Wendy Strobel, MS, CRC, ATP, Faculty, DBTAC Northeast ADA Center, 203 ILR Extension Bldg., Ithaca, NY 14853, Phone: (716) 713-6038, E-mail: email@example.com
2011 Susan Storms, 2765 Green Street, Weedsport, NY 13166, Phone: (315) 834-6241, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2013 Suzanne Joblonski-Philip, 1865 Grove Street, # 2R, Ridgewood, NY 11385, Phone: (347) 592-7815, E-mail: email@example.com
Parent/Guardian of an Individual with a Disability
2012 Lynn Drucker, Sr. Vice President, Abilities, 1406 Van Nostrand Place, Merrick, New York 11566, Phone: (516) 546-0683 (H), E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
2012 David Whalen, Disability Awareness Trainer/Consultant, 74 Fleetwood, Williamsville, NY 14221, Phone: (716) 565-9338 (H), E-mail: email@example.com
Native American Section 121 Project Representative
Other appropriate individuals
2011 Ralph Giordano, 51 Creekside Circle, Castleton-on-Hudson, NY 12033-3206, Phone: (518) 477-7235, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
2011 Melanie Shaw, Executive Director, New York Association for Independent Living, One Commerce Plaza, 99 Washington Avenue, Suite 806A, Albany, NY 12210, Phone: (518) 465-4650, E-mail: email@example.com
2011 Peter Kahrmann, 723 County Route 1, Berne, NY 12023, Phone: (518) 797-3777, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
2013 Capt. Luis Carlos Montalván, 512 W. 112th Street, Apt 2A, New York, NY 10025, Phone: (719) 291-2540, E-mail: email@example.com
2011 Jerrie Gamble-Henderson, 400 Brunswick Dr., 10-6, Troy, NY 12180, Phone: (518) 326-1228, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2013 Julie Cardone, Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor, Commission for the Blind and Visually Handicapped, 445 Hamilton Avenue, Room 503, White Plains, NY 10601, Phone: (914) 993-5385, E-mail: Julie.Cardone@OCFS.state.ny.us
2011 Michael Peluso, Coordinator, Interagency, Legislative, Family and Community Affairs, Adult Education and Workforce Development, 99 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234, Phone: (518) 474-2925, E-mail: email@example.com