Meeting of the Board of Regents | December 2009
THE STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT / THE UNIVERSITY OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK / ALBANY, NY 12234
Rebecca H. Cort
Appointments to the New York State
Independent Living Council, Inc.
November 27, 2009
Issue for Decision (Consent Agenda)
Vacancies have occurred on the New York State Independent Living Council, Inc. (NYSILC). Should the Regents approve the proposed appointments of members to the NYSILC?
Reason for Consideration
The 1992 Amendments to the Rehabilitation Act require the Board of Regents to appoint members to the New York State Independent Living Council, Inc. (NYSILC).
This item will come before the Full Board at its December 2009 meeting.
Each year, as vacancies occur, the Board of Regents approves recommendations to fill such vacancies.
Information on the proposed appointees is noted on Attachment 1 and a list of the entire NYSILC is noted on Attachment 2.
VOTED: that Lawrence Carter-Long, Lynn Drucker and David Whalen be appointed for a three-year term beginning January 1, 2010 and ending December 31, 2012.
Timetable for Implementation
Upon approval by the Regents of the recommended candidates, appointments will go into effect January 1, 2010.
New York State Independent Living Council, Inc.
VESID is recommending three new appointments resulting from expiring terms of existing members. The following new appointments are recommended:
2012 Expiration Date – Advocate
Disabilities Network of NYC
121 Avenue of the Americas, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10013
212-925-6675 ext. 293
- Executive Director of the Disabilities Network is widely recognized for his expertise in communications/media and as a spokesperson on issues ranging from media portrayal of disability, self determination, medical ethics and quality of life issues. Featured in dozens of national/local media outlets including National Public Radio, The New York Times, The BBC, NBC's Today Show, CNN, ABC Channel 7, Village Voice and the Jewish Week. (2005 to present)
- Communications Director for the Animal Protection Institute and authored regular columns for the Animals' Agenda magazine. (1998-2002)
- Founder and curator of the Disabilities Network groundbreaking project, the disTHIS! FILM SERIES: disability through a whole new lens, currently housed at New York University. disTHIS! has been featured in the Style section of the New York Times, the Tribeca Trib, the New York Nonprofit Press, Disability Studies Quarterly and New Mobility magazine.
- Serves on the Board of Directors of the Food Empowerment Project, the Disability Opportunity Fund and the Society For Disability Studies.
2012 Expiration Date – Parent / Guardian
Sr. Vice President, Abilities!
1406 Van Nostrand Place
Merrick, New York 11566
(516) 546-0683 (H)
- Sr. Vice President of Abilities! accountable for all aspects of the development office and external relations including annual fundraising where she increased corporate and foundation gifts by 20 percent and direct mail income by 40 percent from prior year in 2008. (February 2007 - present)
- Development Officer at New York University where she developed and implemented fundraising strategies to target potential funding resources for College of Nursing. Managed development support staff, assistant development director and special events consultant, and oversaw public relations efforts. (May 2006 – February 2007)
- Managed and facilitated annual fundraising program for small non-profit ($500k). Responsibilities included; direct mail, prospect research, newsletter articles & preparation, special events, grant writing, and face-to-face solicitations. (January 2005 – April 2006)
- Senior Philanthropic Consultant at the Levy Philanthropic Counsel, LLC provided management, coordination, training and support for Hospice Care Network’s capital campaign. Teacher’s assistant for major gift graduate course at Columbia University and basic fundraising seminars for the UJA leadership programs. (December 2003 - January 2006)
2012 Expiration Date – Parent / Guardian
Disability Awareness Trainer/Consultant
Williamsville, NY 14221
(716) 565-9338 (H)
- Founded Disability Awareness Training that specializes in training law enforcement, emergency responders, human service providers, public, private, and school transportation, corporations and businesses, and educators. The training is designed to sensitize and educate on all aspects of disabilities including, but not limited to, definitions of disabilities, etiquette and interaction skills, stigma and misperceptions, proactive approaches to community inclusion and integration, and overcoming barriers through advocacy. Specific topic areas include emotional disturbance/mental health awareness and responsiveness, developmental disabilities, co-morbidities and dual diagnosis, and pertinent legislation. (November 2004-Present)
- Worked in the disability field for most of his career including 17 years at Opportunities Unlimited of Niagara serving individuals with developmental disabilities. As Vice President of Program Operations, established groundbreaking programs recognized statewide, including a fully operational greenhouse, an on-site nature trail, rehabilitation counseling in schools, collaborative certification with the county alcoholism department, and a sensory integration room. Developed a comprehensive plan to serve seniors with developmental disabilities that is currently being implemented in agencies. (1986 to 2003)
- David served on the Western New York Developmental Disabilities Awareness Day-DD Day-committee. As former co-chairperson, was instrumental in making DD Day the largest single day conference in New York State dedicated to the field of developmental disabilities. (1993 to 2008)
New York State Independent Living Council, Inc.
Center for Independent Living Director
2011 Denise A. Figueroa, 1064 New Loudon Road, Cohoes, NY 12047, Phone: (518) 785-8295, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Representatives from Centers for Independent Living
2010 Christina Curry, Executive Director, Harlem Independent Living Center, 289 St. Nicholas Avenue, Lower Level, New York, NY 10027, Phone: (212) 222-7122,TTY: (212) 222-7198, Fax: (212) 222-7199, E-mail: email@example.com
2011 Bruce Darling, (NYSILC Vice Chair), Center for Disability Rights, 497 State Street Rochester, NY 14608, Phone: (585) 546-7510, TTY: (585) 546-7510, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
2011 Douglas J Usiak, Executive Director, Western New York Independent Living Project, 3108 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14214, Phone: (V and TTY) (716) 836-0822, E-mail: email@example.com
Advocates for Individuals with Disabilities
2011 Kenneth L. Stewart, 34 Points of View, Warwick, NY 10990, Phone: (845) 986-2955, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
2011 Anthony W. Richardson, 87 Hamilton Place, Apt. 2F, New York, NY 10031, Phone: (212) 283-5969, E-mail: email@example.com
2010 Courtney Totter, Coordinator Program and Services, National Multiple Sclerosis Society, 1650 South Avenue, Suite 100, Rochester, NY 14620, Voice: 1 (800) 344-4867, Fax: 1 (585) 442-2817, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
2010 Ramon Rodriguez, District Director, Resource Center for Independent Living, Amsterdam, 347 West Main Street, Amsterdam, NY 12010, Voice: (518) 842-4029 , TDD: (518) 842-3593, Fax: (518) 842-0905, E-mail: email@example.com
2010 Christine Zachmeyer, Executive Director (NYSILC Chair), Catskill Center for Independence, P. O. Box 1247, RT. 23 Southside, Oneonta, NY 13820, Phone & TTY: (607) 432-8000, Fax: (607) 432-6907, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
2012 Lawrence Carter-Long, Executive Director, Disabilities Network of NYC, 121 Avenue of the Americas, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10013, Phone: 212-925-6675 ext. 293, E-mail: Lawrence@dnnyc.net
2011 Lauren LeFebvre, Project Director, Tri Lakes Center for Independence, PO Box 280, Ray Brook, NY 12977, Phone: (V) (518) 891-5295, TTY: (518) 891-5293, Fax: (518) 891-5293, E-mail: Lauren@tlcil.org
Representatives of Service Organizations for Individuals with Disabilities
2010 Edith M. Prentiss, 739 West 186th Street, 4E, New York, NY 10033-8527, Phone: (212) 781-8309, E-mail: email@example.com
2011 Wendy Strobel, MS, CRC, ATP, Faculty, DBTAC Northeast ADA Center, 203 ILR Extension Bldg., Ithaca, NY 14853, Phone: (716) 713-6038, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
2011 Don Dreyer, Director, Nassau County Office for the Physically Challenged, 60 Charles Lindberg Blvd., Uniondale, NY 11553, Phone: (516) 227-8983, E-mail: email@example.com
2011 Rain Rippel, 33 Saratoga Rd, Apt Z-10, Scotia, NY 12302, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Parent/Guardian of an Individual with a Disability
2012 Lynn Drucker, Sr. Vice President, Abilities, 1406 Van Nostrand Place, Merrick, New York 11566, Phone: (516) 546-0683 (H), E-mail: email@example.com
2012 David Whalen, Disability Awareness Trainer/Consultant, 74 Fleetwood, Williamsville, NY 14221, Phone: (716) 565-9338 (H), E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Native American Section 121 Project Representative
2010 Monica Redeye, Program Manager, Seneca Nation of Indians Tribal Voc. Rehab., 12885 Route 438, Irving, NY 14081, Phone: (716) 532-1033 ext. 5415, Fax: (716) 532-1033, E-mail: email@example.com
2010 Kieran McGovern, Self-Initiated Living Options, Inc., 3680 Rt. 112 Suite 4, Coram, NY 11727, Voice: (631) 880-7929 TDD: (631) 654-8076, Fax: (631) 654-8077, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Other appropriate individuals
2010 Sharon Fong, Director of Human Resources, AHRC New York City, 83 Maiden Lane, New York, NY 10038, Phone: (212) 780-2697, E-mail email@example.com
2011 Ralph Giordano, 51 Creekside Circle, Castleton-on-Hudson, NY 12033-3206, Phone: (518) 477-7235, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
2011 Melanie Shaw, Executive Director, New York Association for Independent Living, One Commerce Plaza, 99 Washington Avenue, Suite 806A, Albany, NY 12210, Phone: (518) 465-4650, E-mail: email@example.com
2011 Peter Kahrmann, 723 County Route 1, Berne, NY 12023, Phone: (518) 797-3777, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org