Meeting of the Board of Regents | November 2009
ON PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE
The Board of Regents
November 16, 2009
Your Professional Practice Committee held its scheduled meeting on November 16, 2009. All Committee members were present, except Chancellor Merryl H. Tisch and Regent Saul B. Cohen, who were excused.
Professional Discipline Cases
Your Committee recommends that the reports of the Regents Review Committees, including rulings, findings of fact, determinations as to guilt, and recommendations, by unanimous or majority vote, contained in those reports which have been distributed to you, be accepted in 4 cases. In addition, your Committee recommends, upon the recommendation of the Committee on the Professions, that 50 consent order applications and 1 surrender application be granted, and further recommends that 1 summary suspension application be granted. [PPC EXS (A) 1-3, 5]
These recommendations are made following the review of 56 cases involving thirteen licensed practical nurses, seven pharmacists, six registered professional nurses, five licensed practical nurses who are also registered professional nurses, five pharmacies, three massage therapists, two architects, two dentists, one architect professional corporation, one chiropractor, one certified dental assistant, one physical therapist, one registered professional nurse who is also a nurse practitioner, one respiratory therapist, and one veterinarian.
Voted, with four members of the Committee in favor and with one abstention, that the Board of Regents stay the Order of Revocation of the physician license of Angel Prado, that he be placed on probation for five years under the Terms of Probation attached to the Report of the Committee on the Professions as Exhibit “A,” and that upon satisfactory completion of the probationary period, his license shall be fully restored. [PPC EXS (A) 4]
MOTION FOR ACTION BY FULL BOARD
Madam Chancellor and Colleagues: Your Professional Practice Committee recommends, and we move, that the Board of Regents act affirmatively upon each recommendation in the written report of the Committee's deliberations at its meeting on November 16, 2009, copies of which have been distributed to each Regent.
MATTERS NOT REQUIRING BOARD ACTION
Your Committee discussed several topics of interest, including:
- Associate Commissioner’s Report – Associate Commissioner Muñoz provided an update on current topics of interest, including:
- a report on the Professions Leadership Conference meeting;
- a report on continuing efforts to address immediate need for mental health providers to continue to provide needed mental health services, and discussions about legislation among key parties;
- a report on continuing discussions with key players and stakeholders regarding service on boards of directors by accountants who declare themselves inactive. [Oral Report]
- Technology Report – This report discussed the role of the Office of the Professions in the multi-agency technology project to address licensing and enforcement functions and various other OP technology initiatives, including the use of the RightNow system for frequently asked questions and the use of scanning technology. [PPC (D) 1]
That concludes our report.
Harry Phillips, 3rd, Co-Chairperson
Milton L. Cofield, Co-Chairperson