Report of Regents Higher Education Committee to The Board of Regents
Your Higher Education Committee held its scheduled meeting on April 12, 2021. All members of the Committee were present.
MOTION FOR ACTION BY FULL BOARD
Mister Chancellor and Colleagues: Your Higher Education Committee recommends, and we move, that the Board of Regents act affirmatively upon each recommendation in the written report of the Committee’s deliberations at its meeting on April 12, 2021, copies of which have been distributed to each member of the Board of Regents.
Matters Requiring Board Action:
Proposed Amendment of Section 80-1.5 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education Relating to Extending the edTPA Safety Net in Response to the COVID-19 Crisis - Your Committee heard Department staff present a proposal to amend for emergency action section 80-1.5 of the Commissioner’s Regulations extending the edTPA Safety Net to candidates who complete a student teaching or similar clinical experience during the 2021-2022 academic year while enrolled in a New York State registered teacher preparation program or a comparable out-of-state teacher preparation program, or complete the teaching experience requirement for certification through the Individual Evaluation pathway during the 2021-2022 academic year.
VOTED: That section 80-1.5 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education be amended, as submitted, as an emergency measure, effective April 13, 2021, upon a finding by the Board of Regents that such action is necessary for the preservation of public health and the general welfare in order to immediately provide additional flexibility related to the teacher performance assessment requirement in response to the COVID-19 crisis.
Matters Not Requiring Board Action:
Consent Agenda Items:
- Amendment to Section 52.21 Related to Content Core Requirement in the Computer Science Teacher Preparation Programs - The Board Voted to amend of Section 52.21 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education relating to the Content Core requirement in the Computer Science Teacher Preparation Programs.
- Application for Surrender of Degree-Conferring Authority: Christie’s Education, Inc - Pursuant to §3.58(g)(2) of the Rules of the Board of Regents, the Board voted to accept the request from Christie’s Education Inc. to surrender, in whole, its degree-conferring authority Application for Surrender of Degree-Conferring Authority: Christie’s Education, Inc..
- Conferral of Degrees: New York Studio School of Drawing, Painting & Sculpture – The Board of Regents approved the conferral of degrees upon those individuals who completed the requirements for registered degree programs at New York Studio School of Drawing, Painting & Sculpture.
- Amendment to Sections 52.21. 80-3.14, and 80-3.7 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education and Section 30-1.2 of the Rules of the Board of Regents - The Board of Regents voted to amended, as submitted, as an emergency measure, effective May 10, 2021, upon a finding by the Board of Regents that such action is necessary for the preservation of public health and the general welfare in order to immediately provide flexibility for certain higher education regulatory requirements in response to the COVID-19 crisis and to ensure that the emergency action taken at the February meeting remains continuously in effect.
- Appointment to the New York State Teacher’s Retirement System Board – The Board of Regents voted to appoint Ruth H. Mahoney to the NYS Teachers’ Retirement System Board pursuant to Section 504(2)(a) of the Education Law for the remainder of a three-year term commencing May 1, 2021 and expiring May 1, 2022.