Meeting of the Board of Regents | June 2010
THE STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT / THE UNIVERSITY OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK / ALBANY, NY 12234
Rebecca H. Cort
Appointments to the New York State Independent
Living Council, Inc.
June 3, 2010
Issue for Decision (Consent Agenda)
Interim vacancies have occurred on the New York State Independent Living Council, Inc. (NYSILC). As called for by the federal Rehabilitation Act, NYSILC provides program monitoring and evaluation and plays a critical role, in partnership with VESID, in the development of New York State Plan for Independent Living (SPIL). Should the Regents approve the proposed appointments and reappointments of members to the NYSILC?
Reason for Consideration
The 1992 Amendments to the Rehabilitation Act require the Board of Regents to appoint members to the New York State Independent Living Council, Inc. (NYSILC).
This item will come before the Full Board at its June 2010 meeting.
Each year, as vacancies occur, the Board of Regents approves recommendations to fill such vacancies.
Information on the proposed appointees is noted on Attachment 1 and a list of the entire NYSILC is noted on Attachment 2.
VOTED: That Shelley Klein, Jerrie Gamble-Henderson and Susan Storms be appointed to fill the unexpired terms of their predecessors.
Timetable for Implementation
Upon approval by the Regents of the recommended candidates, appointments will go into effect July 1, 2010.
New York State Independent Living Council, Inc.
The following candidates represent interim appointments to the New York State Independent Living Council (NYSILC). These individuals have been fully vetted by NYSILC and replace council members who have resigned from the Council. The interim appointments are necessary to ensure NYSILC meets its mandated composition and can fulfill council obligations.
2010 Expiration Date – Advocate
Shelley M. Klein, Ph.D.
227 Norman Road
New Rochelle, NY 10804
- Board member, recording secretary and vice president of the Westchester Independent Living Center.
- Three-term chairperson appointed by county executive as an original member of the Westchester County Human Rights Commission.
- Founder, publisher and editor of ALIVE Magazine, a cross-disability publication.
2011 Expiration Date – Business
400 Brunswick Dr., 10-6,
Troy, NY 12180
- Chairperson, Young Adult Activities, Bethel Baptist Church, Troy, NY. Assisted in planning fundraising events and presented seminars in proper etiquette for job interview. (2004-2005)
- Conference Manager, Doral Arrowwood, Rye Brook, NY. Planned, coordinated and supervised corporate conferences, meetings and dinner parties. Handled all facets of convention planning, menu planning, rate negotiations, and equipment outsourcing. Skilled in planning multiple activities to support business meetings, special events, and training seminars. (1998-2000)
- Executive Assistant to the Director of Food and Beverage, Doral Arrowwood, Rye Brook NY. Responsible for all correspondence and press releases. Coordinated schedules and travel itineraries for managers. Served as a liaison with various vendors, customers, and non-profit organizations. (1996-1998)
- Administrative Assistant to the Chief of Psychiatry, Samuel Stratton VA Medical Center, Albany, NY. Assisted the Chief of Psychiatry with the daily running of the Psychiatry Department’s inpatient and outpatient programs. Involved with the intake process of patients for the inpatient wards. Handled all travel, scheduling and payroll for the department. Scheduled in-services with various pharmaceutical companies. (1994-1996)
2011 Expiration Date – Organization Serving
2765 Green Street
Weedsport, NY 13166
- Volunteer Advocate for Options for Independence. Responsible for assisting with planning annual conferences and meetings; wrote many articles for the local newspaper and represented the agency at various community meetings. Various speaking engagements to raise the awareness of Option’s role in the community as an independent living center. Currently serving as the President of the Board of Directors. (2007 – Present)
- Volunteer Spokesperson for Cayuga County United Way. Interfaced with community agencies and businesses. Provided testimony regarding her own disability and United Way’s support to her in public forums. Designed informational video, appeared on television, met with news reporters for related stories, prepared and presented speeches at numerous functions. (2006)
- Member of the Board of Directors of Aurora of Central New York, an agency that assists people with visual and hearing impairments for career and home making development including mobility training, technical training, teaching sign language, assistance and mentors for their consumers.
New York State Independent Living Council, Inc.
Center for Independent Living Director
2011 Denise A. Figueroa, 1064 New Loudon Road, Cohoes, NY 12047, Phone: (518) 785-8295, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Representatives from Centers for Independent Living
2010 Christina Curry, Executive Director, Harlem Independent Living Center, 289 St. Nicholas Avenue, Lower Level, New York, NY 10027, Phone: (212) 222-7122,TTY: (212) 222-7198, Fax: (212) 222-7199, E-mail: email@example.com
2011 Bruce Darling, (NYSILC Vice Chair), Center for Disability Rights, 497 State Street Rochester, NY 14608, Phone: (585) 546-7510, TTY: (585) 546-7510, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
2011 Douglas J Usiak, Executive Director, Western New York Independent Living Project, 3108 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14214, Phone: (V and TTY) (716) 836-0822, E-mail: email@example.com
Advocates for Individuals with Disabilities
2011 Kenneth L. Stewart, 34 Points of View, Warwick, NY 10990, Phone: (845) 986-2955, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
2011 Anthony W. Richardson, 87 Hamilton Place, Apt. 2F, New York, NY 10031, Phone: (212) 283-5969, E-mail: email@example.com
2010 Ramon Rodriguez, District Director, Resource Center for Independent Living, Amsterdam, 347 West Main Street, Amsterdam, NY 12010, Voice: (518) 842-4029 , TDD: (518) 842-3593, Fax: (518) 842-0905, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
2010 Christine Zachmeyer, Executive Director (NYSILC Chair), Catskill Center for Independence, P. O. Box 1247, RT. 23 Southside, Oneonta, NY 13820, Phone & TTY: (607) 432-8000, Fax: (607) 432-6907, E-mail: email@example.com
2012 Lawrence Carter-Long, Executive Director, Disabilities Network of NYC, 121 Avenue of the Americas, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10013, Phone: 212-925-6675 ext. 293, E-mail: Lawrence@dnnyc.net
2011 Lauren LeFebvre, Project Director, Tri Lakes Center for Independence, PO Box 280, Ray Brook, NY 12977, Phone: (V) (518) 891-5295, TTY: (518) 891-5293, Fax: (518) 891-5293, E-mail: Lauren@tlcil.org
2010 Shelley M. Klein, Ph.D., 227 Norman Road, New Rochelle, NY 10804, Phone: (914) 632-4916, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Representatives of Service Organizations for Individuals with Disabilities
2010 Edith M. Prentiss, 739 West 186th Street, 4E, New York, NY 10033-8527, Phone: (212) 781-8309, E-mail: email@example.com
2011 Wendy Strobel, MS, CRC, ATP, Faculty, DBTAC Northeast ADA Center, 203 ILR Extension Bldg., Ithaca, NY 14853, Phone: (716) 713-6038, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
2011 Susan Storms, 2765 Green Street, Weedsport, NY 13166, Phone: (315) 834-6241, E-mail: email@example.com
Parent/Guardian of an Individual with a Disability
2012 Lynn Drucker, Sr. Vice President, Abilities, 1406 Van Nostrand Place, Merrick, New York 11566, Phone: (516) 546-0683 (H), E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
2012 David Whalen, Disability Awareness Trainer/Consultant, 74 Fleetwood, Williamsville, NY 14221, Phone: (716) 565-9338 (H), E-mail: email@example.com
Native American Section 121 Project Representative
2010 Monica Redeye, Program Manager, Seneca Nation of Indians Tribal Voc. Rehab., 12885 Route 438, Irving, NY 14081, Phone: (716) 532-1033 ext. 5415, Fax: (716) 532-1033, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
2010 Kieran McGovern, Self-Initiated Living Options, Inc., 3680 Rt. 112 Suite 4, Coram, NY 11727, Voice: (631) 880-7929 TDD: (631) 654-8076, Fax: (631) 654-8077, E-mail: email@example.com
Other appropriate individuals
2010 Sharon Fong, Director of Human Resources, AHRC New York City, 83 Maiden Lane, New York, NY 10038, Phone: (212) 780-2697, E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
2011 Ralph Giordano, 51 Creekside Circle, Castleton-on-Hudson, NY 12033-3206, Phone: (518) 477-7235, E-mail: email@example.com
2011 Melanie Shaw, Executive Director, New York Association for Independent Living, One Commerce Plaza, 99 Washington Avenue, Suite 806A, Albany, NY 12210, Phone: (518) 465-4650, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
2011 Peter Kahrmann, 723 County Route 1, Berne, NY 12023, Phone: (518) 797-3777, E-mail: email@example.com
2011 Jerrie Gamble-Henderson, 400 Brunswick Dr., 10-6, Troy, NY 12180, Phone: (518) 326-1228, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org