Meeting of the Board of Regents | May 2009
REGENTS VESID COMMITTEE
The Board of Regents
May 18, 2009
Your VESID Committee held its scheduled meeting on May 18, 2009. All
members were present. Regents Young, Cea and Norwood also attended.
MATTERS NOT REQUIRING BOARD ACTION
- Staff shared data on the vocational rehabilitation services provided by VESID and the programmatic and fiscal implications of the increase in active caseload.
- Staff discussed guided questions developed around major policy issues with regard to the Individualized Education Program (IEP) Diploma. The Committee supported VESID’s recommendations to:
- pursue the development of an alternative credential(s) that documents the academic and career skills of students with disabilities. Next steps include benchmarking with other states.
- issue guidance and informational material on the current regulatory requirements for the IEP diploma, including its potential limitations on post-secondary opportunities and guidance on how and when to make the decision to pursue an IEP diploma, and
- Reaffirm its 2004 policy to further encourage the use of the CTE Skills Achievement Profile.
Further discussion on this topic is scheduled for a joint EMSC/VESID meeting in June.
MATTERS REQUIRING BOARD ACTION
The Board voted to approve the Amendment to the State Plan for Vocational Rehabilitation and Supplement for Supported Employment Services Program, effective October 1, 2009.
That concludes our report.