Report of Regents Higher Education Committee to The Board of Regents
Your Higher Education Committee held its scheduled meeting on July 11, 2016. All members were present with the exception of Regent Norwood who was absent and excused.
Proposed Amendment of Section 80-5.4 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education Relating to the Employment of Substitute Teachers Without a Valid Teaching Certificate. A Notice of Proposed Rule Making was published in the State Register on May 4, 2016. Following the 45-day public comment period required under the State Administrative Procedure Act, the Department received comments on the proposed amendment. Your Committee discussed the proposed amendment of Section 80-5.4 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education relating to the employment of substitute teachers without a valid teaching certificate and voted, with Regent Johnson opposing, that section 80-5.4 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education be amended, as submitted, effective July 27, 2016 and further discussed additional amendments for Board discussion at the September 2016 meeting to provide for a sunset of the regulation after 1-3 years. The proposed amendment will become effective as a permanent rule on July 27, 2016. HE (A) 1
MOTION FOR ACTION BY FULL BOARD
Madam Chancellor and Colleagues: Your Higher Education Committee recommends, and we move, that the Board of Regents act affirmatively upon each recommendation in the written report of the Committee’s deliberations at its meeting on July 11, 2016, copies of which have been distributed to each member of the Board of Regents.
The Board of Regents took action on the following consent agenda items at their July 11, 2016 meeting.
- Extension of Existing Safety Nets for Candidates Who Take the New Teacher Certification Examinations (ALST, edTPA, EAS and the Redeveloped CSTs). BR (CA) 1
- Proposed Amendment to Section 80-3.5 of the Commissioner’s Regulations to Establish New Pathway Options for the Transitional A Certificate in a Career and Technical Education Subject for Candidates who do not Meet the Current Requirements but who Possess Industry Experience, Credentials, or are in the Process of Completing Certification. BR (CA) 2
- Proposed Amendment to Section 80-3.5 of the Commissioner’s Regulations to Establish a New Pathway Option for the Transitional A Certificate in a Career and Technical Education Subject for Candidates who Hold a Full License to Teach in Licensed Private Career Schools and Have at Least Two Years of Teaching Experience Under Such License. BR (CA) 3
- Proposed Amendments to Section 80-5.8 and 80-5.20 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education Relating to Endorsement of Out-of-State Certificates for Service as a Teacher, School District Leader, School District Business Leader and School Building Leader in New York State. BR (CA) 4
- St. Joseph’s College: Master Plan Amendment to Offer a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) Degree in Studio Arts. BR (CA) 5